Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weds Briefs


Wednesday Briefs #3

This week’s prompts: 

Use: silk pajamas, cat's meow, wunderbar

Or use these alternative prompts:

Born in the USA

or

mayhem, mollycoddle, dandruff

or

stairway to heaven

or Puff the Magic Dragon.

Links to my fellow participants appear at the end of my story. 


The Mixed Bag

There was nothing like being able to sleep in; it wasn’t something that neither Tom nor Ben did often enough.  But today was different. Ben had his man all to himself and he wasn’t going to waste one minute.  He looked over at the handsome firefighter lying next to him. They both wore the matching silk pajamas Ben had gotten during the holidays.   Blue for him, since it was his favorite color, and red for his fella, because it matched his blond hair.

They’d been together for four years now and Ben still couldn’t understand why a tall, physically well-built man like Tom, who could have anyone he wanted, would want to settle for someone like him.   It’s not that he was ugly or anything like that, but in school he was more a geek and Tom was the jock.   Maybe it was true that opposites attract; it certainly held true for them. 

“Mm, what are you thinking about?”  Tom had woken up and saw him sitting on the edge of the bed ruminating.  Strong arms circled his shoulders and a pair of lips kissed his neck and shoulders. 

“Just wondering why me?”

“Huh, what do you mean why you?”  Tom positioned him in his arms so he was looking up at Tom’s face, his body leaning against his chest.

“Why do you want to be stuck with someone like me, a real estate agent who doesn’t even have work right now?”   It was a slow time of year for him and it was making him rather frustrated. 

“First of all, I’m not ‘stuck.’”   Tom’s deep voice could drive him nuts in a good way.   “I don’t care what you do for a living, all I know is I took one look at you at the Fireman’s Ball and thought you were the cat’s meow.”

“The cat’s meow?” Ben sat up. Had Tom lost his marbles?  “What year is this? Isn’t that from the forties or something?”

“You know what they say, what’s old is new.”   He kissed Ben’s lips.  “All I know is I love you.”

“I love you too, how about I make us breakfast?”

“Wunderbar!”

Ben rolled his eyes; sometimes he wondered if Tom knew how much he loved it when he got silly.  He went to the kitchen and started the coffee maker going.   Tom like his coffee strong. It was a good thing they’d gotten one of those Keurig coffee makers; this way they could each make their cups the way they wanted to.   He liked his coffee more civilized; Tom would make fun of him when he put three spoonfuls of sugar and milk in his coffee, while he would put in two and have it black.

“You think I’m a wimp?”  Ben asked Tom when he’d joined him at the kitchen counter.

“Nope, just different.”   Tom took a sip of his coffee and grabbed a fork to take a bite of the omelet Ben had just put in front of him.   “Mmm.  And a damn good cook too.” 

“At least I’m good for something.”

“Ben, will you stop being so negative?  Look, I love you. You don’t ask why someone loves you ‘cause I can’t answer it, not really.  All I know is that everytime I hear your voice, or see you, or even think about you, I get all excited.  I can’t wait to be with you.”

“I’m sorry, Tom.  I love you too.   I promise I’ll never doubt why you’re with me again.”

“Promise?”  Tom took his hand and squeezed it.

“Promise.”   They smothered each other with coffee-scented kisses.




4 comments:

  1. That was a very sweet story. Very touching too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Are you going to put your blog stories in ebook format so we can buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the kind words. I might get around to writing a full-length story with these two sweet guys

    ReplyDelete