Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weds Brief

It's that time of the week,  time to flash.


The prompt for next week is: "It's a little bit funny" or use: diva, aria, lemon or  use a red light or "Never knew I could feel like this..." or "like a virgin" or use: dwarf, fantasy, slide or set your story at the Moulin Rouge


I support pet adoption.  We have two rescue cats.   Please consider giving a cat or dog a forever home

Pet care


Tom loved helping people, which was one of the reasons he got into firefighting.  So he could make a difference.

He was certainly making a difference in Courtney Thomas’ life. She was the young woman Tom saved from the house fire.  He and Ben were looking after her cat, Andy.

Ben opened a can of cat food and placed it on the kitchen floor next to the water bowl.  Andy was sitting patiently, waiting to be fed.   “Here you go boy.”  Ben petted Andy’s back as the feline ate.  The sound of Tom’s cell phone broke the serene moment.

“Hello? Oh hello, Courtney, how are you?”

Ben knelt beside Andy. He knew what the phone call was about. 

“Yes, Andy is doing fine.” Tom looked at Ben absently as he concentrated on the call. “Yes, we can do that, sure.  I know you missed him. Okay, bye.”

“She wants him back,” Ben said dejectedly. His heart sank to the floor.

“Yes, she came home yesterday and she misses him, so she asked me if we could drop him off at her place this afternoon.”

Ben felt Tom’s arm go around his shoulder and he was pulled into a hug.

“I didn’t expect this.”

“Expect what?” Tom asked him

“I never knew I could feel like this. I mean, I knew he wasn’t our cat, that he’d have to go back to his owner, but I didn’t know I’d feel this bad about it.” 

“It’ll be okay, Ben.  I have to get Andy back to Courtney in about an hour. Do you want to come with me?”

“Yeah, okay.”  Tom could hear how bummed out Ben was that they had to return the cat.

They took off after Andy was done eating and they’d gotten the furry feline into the cat carrier.  They parked in front of Courtney’s house.

“Do you want to go with me?”  Tom asked him.

“No, I’ll say my goodbyes here.”  Ben turned to the cat carrier and put his finger through one of the slots.  “Bye, Andy.”  They’d only had the cat a week, but he’d already managed to find a place in his heart.  Tom took the carrier to the front door of the lady’s home and then looked away. He couldn’t bear to watch.   Curiosity got the better of him and he glanced up to see Courtney, with a huge smile on her face, take Andy into her hands and hug Tom.  He sighed. He knew this day was going to come but it came too quickly.

“You did a good thing, Tom, helping Courtney out like that.”

“So did you.  You were the one doing the majority of caring for Andy.”

Tom started the car and drove off.  Ben was looking out the window, watching the passing scenery whiz by.  He noticed that they didn’t make the turn off toward home.

“Tom? Where are we going?”

“You’ll see,”  Tom told him.

Ben’s face lit up when they turned into the parking lot of the Lancaster Animal Rescue parking lot.   “Tom, what are we doing here?”

“I think we should give a cat a forever home.  What do you think of that?”

“I think it’s a great idea. Let’s do it.”

They went into the building together.

TBC

 my fellow flashers

Nephylim     m/m
Elyzabeth VaLey      m/f
Cia Nordwell     m/m
Victoria Adams      m/f
Tali Spencer     m/m
MC Houle      m/m
Michael Mandrake     m/m



5 comments:

  1. thanks, Chris. I like your icon

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... a forever home. i like that. I have two cats and they're my little furry babies. They have to love us to stick around my fur-less babies and what they do to them. I think children should be brought up around animals it teaches them empathy and respect - or at least it should

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sweet! Yay for adopting pets! My baby (aka my year and a half black lab) was adopted from a shelter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story just tugs at my heartstrings. My beloved poodle was rescued and she is the sweetest thing. I love that these guys are giving a sweet pet a home. :D

    ReplyDelete