Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Weds Brief-the Get Away

It's that time of the week again.  Time to Flash.  This week Ben and Tom take a road trip to get away from it all.  Ironically it's the same place I escaped to for the day.   Old Town Alexandria

This Week's Prompts:

“I couldn’t help myself.”
"Saved by the bell."
"Why are you asking me these questions?"
"Honesty is the best policy."
"You can't do anything if you don’t believe."
"Remind me again… Why we are friends?"
"Did you hear about...."
“Who is that?”
“Let’s try this again.”
or use: knife, radar, pin
or have character giggle until they cry
or use: blanket, picture, gun
or use: fan, bedspread, mayo
or use: balloons, egg carton, razor
or have a character throw up
or have a character wearing a ball cap
or feature some sort of a dive, whether swimming or a cheap bar
or ply someone with liquor
or "Hit me with your best shot, big boy"
or "Jim Dandy to the rescue!"
or make a Gilligan's Island reference
or feature a wedding cake


The Get Away by Lily Sawyer

“Why are we here again?”  Tom said after he took a swig from the glass of Guinness sitting on the table in front of him.  The dark ale went down smoothly. It did leave a foam mustache on his upper lip.

“Because we have a weekend off and I’ve always wanted to spend time in Old Town Alexandria. I mean Virginia isn’t that far from Lancaster.”

They’d taken an Amtrak train down there and were experiencing all that wonderful place had to offer.  They took the King Street Trolley down to the waterfront, took a ton of photos, and started to walk their way back up, stopping at the different shops along the way.

“I am so glad they have that trolley. It’s quite a hike up and down King Street.”

“I’m glad it’s free.”  Ben was the one who had his eye on the money end of things.  Not that he was a tightwad, but why they ended up in this dive, Tom didn’t know.

“Lamplighter? Who ever heard of a pub with that name? Why couldn’t we have picked one of those restaurants we passed a few blocks back instead?”

“Why are you asking me these questions?”

“Because I would have been happy to have eaten at the Flying Fish place instead.”

“So why didn’t you say so?I wasn’t twisting your arm to come in here.”  Ben was starting to lose his temper. Their raised voices were getting some unwanted looks from their fellow patrons.

“How about we take a deep breath and take a walk,”  Tom suggested.  Walking always seemed to calm their nerves.   Tom didn’t know why they were both on edge. This trip was supposed to be an enjoyable one. 

Tom paid their tab, and he and Ben exited the pub onto the busy street.   They navigated their way past the throng of people. Some of them were walking their dogs. There must have been practically every breed present. 

They walked silently up to the restaurant.

“Hello, gentlemen,”  The maitre d'greeted them. “How many in your party?”

“Two,” Ben told him. He and Tom followed the younger man through the myriad of tables that dotted the dining room.

“Here you go, sirs.”  He showed them to a table along the wall, and left two menus on the table.   “Someone will be with you shortly to take your orders.” He smiled and left them alone.  Ben and Tom took a seat and picked up their menus.  Tom noticed Ben glancing at him over the menu he held.

“Would you gentlemen like to start off with some drinks?”

“I’ll have a Chardonnay,” Ben said.

“And I’ll have a glass of water,”  Tom told him.

“I’ll be right back with your drinks.”   The waiter turned and left.

“Okay, you want to talk about it?”  Tom started off the conversation.

“Talk about what?”  Ben kept his focus on the menu and not on his husband.

“Come on, Ben, we’ve told each other that we’d always talk out our problems.”

“I’m sorry, hon, I know I’m being a jerk.  It’s work.” Ben put his menu down and looked at Tom.

“Work?  Is there a problem?” 

“I’m having problems with the banks. They’re really making closing the deals very difficult.  I’ve got some short sales I’m having problems getting through.  I know the process can be a long one, and I told my buyers that.   But you know how impatient new homebuyers can be. This one bank I’m dealing with is driving me crazy.  That’s one of the reasons I wanted to get away for a few days.  Just to get away from them. “ Ben reached out and took Tom’s hand  “And be with you, of course.”

“I know your job is not easy, baby.” Tom squeezed Ben’s hand.   “How about we forget real life for a while and enjoy the moment?”

“Yeah, I’d like that a lot.”

“Can I take your order?” The waiter returned.

“I’ll have the wild salmon,”  Ben told the waiter.

“I’ll have the steak, medium.”   Tom liked steak and potatoes.

After their meal, they returned to their room at the Hotel Monaco.   Theu cuddled up in each other’s arms and turned on the TV.

“In other news, Wilton Ranker of H&P bank in Lancaster has been charged with unfair loan practices.  He’s been charged with discrimination, especially against homosexuals.”

“What!?”  Ben leapt out of the bed and started pacing.

“Ben? What’s wrong?”

“That son of a bitch. He’s one of the loan officers I’ve been dealing with for one of the couples I’ve been trying to sell a house to.  They’re a gay couple.  That bastard!”


TBC





No comments:

Post a Comment